Saturday 3 September 2016

@Phil @Alan Minor Project: Idea Update

I'd like to do an animated short based on the short story "The Tale of the Rainbow Cat".  This a Japanese story in which a mischievous rainbow cat visits a wedding in the clouds and tricks a Thunder God.

You can read the story here!

With the nature of the story being Japanese I'd like to base my art direction on traditional Japanese art methods such as wood block printing. I've missed a more hands on approach to animation and I would like to create my environments using printmaking with the aid of Photoshop.  


The artist that first came to mind was Katsushika Hokusai who is famous for his woodblock prints. I really love the use of line and the bright colours within his work.




I also took a look at how Gods and Cats had been depicted in traditional work. Gods often look somewhat evil and demonlike whereas cats look fun and charming. 





What I'm hoping to achieve is a good art direction, based on the culture this story is from. Thinking of something that has done this well I would think of the game Okami. It's visually pleasing to look at while maintaining the charm of the artwork it's based on. 




I'd love to know peoples thoughts about this idea! Especially if there's anything that will need work, I'd rather have an idea in the bag before we start week 1!










Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment