Monday, 16 January 2017

@Alan Major Project: Initial ideas

Following my previous project I realised I'd rather tackle an animation that was in the "cartoon world" as this is what I enjoy doing. 

I looked into things that I personally find interesting and I wondered how I could possibly translate fantasy into a cartoon that was easy for children to perceive. With books such as Lord of the Rings, they're often long and complicated and children won't often read them until they are a much older age. I currently play in a DnD campaign in which I lot of information is perceived in a short space of time and even as an adult I can forget what has happened from one session to the next. I'd recently became interested in the Druid class and their devotion to Nature. This seemed like an interesting topic to pursue. 

As humans we have a responsibility to look after the planet we live on and with most cartoons nowadays they convey an important message to children. I wanted to turn this class into a likable character for a cartoon. 

The character I began to bring to life was a young girl named Luci (shortened from Lucielle) who had abilities in which to communicate with beasts and nature. What I had to think about was how she could fit into a world and a story and why this would be important to her character. 

I imagine her world as a natural and organic environment, which is threatened by pollution and corruption. This is what as she as a character is trying to prevent. 

A possible villain is a character harming this environment and turning the environment into beasts. 
Below is some of the drawings I have completed so far. 




Starting off with Luci I drew what came to mind then continued to refine it. In terms of the face I felt that 3 was close to the kind of character I imagine for Luci and the hairstyle seems playful. I then drew up a base for her body to ensure she was the correct proportions for a young girl and focused on costume, facial shapes and hair. 1 and 3 are my favourites although they're very initial at this stage. 




I also considered how nature could become beasts and decided that with designing a human character, these additional characters should be simple to allow completion of this project. I thought the idea of evil mushrooms could be pretty fun and started exploring this idea. 

This idea is very initial but I'd like to have some conversations around how this could be fleshed out and what is achievable in the time. 
Share:

Minor Project: Reflective Statement


Within the Minor Project I feel that my success was mostly in the first half of my project. 

When deciding on a project idea I felt with this project I came to a decision pretty quickly, something I had struggled with before. Knowing my weaknesses of starting off slow, and the anxieties I feel starting a new project I worked with tutors to ensure I was ontrack early. For these first weeks I felt very successful in the work I was producing and any problems were solved quickly because I was asking for help. 

Later on however I was confronted by personal issues which lead me away from help within the course and threw me off track and unfortunately it felt a little like I never really got back to a place in which I was comfortable with the work I was producing. Therefore the work I produced for my submission was not to a standard I wanted but the best I could produce within the time left. 

This project was essentially a translation of drawings and information provided and although they were fairly successful, some models were were more successful than others. For me the best translation was the Spider, the drawing was simple and therefore this was easier to translate over the other models such as the ferret which I feel is the least successful. 

I really like the concept of this project however towards the end of the Minor project, although I was determined to finish it in a good place, I did stop enjoying it. This is a factor I believe in why it wasn't as successful as I had hoped it to be, the lack of enjoyment meant that I was less able to stay determined and push through. 

I have however had a positive time with this project, learning new skills in Maya and improving upon my rigging knowledge. I also had success in a professional way by asking six voice over artists for their talents and with branding my blog.

Moving forward I will no longer be continuing this project as a year long project as I had originally intended but instead be starting a new project for the Major and taking these successes with me. 
Share:

Thursday, 12 January 2017